Skip To Content

How can I dispute my real estate taxes in Palm Beach County?

If you disagree with your Palm Beach County property tax assessment you have two main options. We recommend you first contact the Property Appraiser's office for an informal review. If you are not satisfied with their informal review results, you can file a petition with the Value Adjustment Board.

The Palm Beach County Property Appraiser's office prides themselves on having well-staffed phones without a monster voice mail extension system like you might expect. The phone number for their downtown service center is (561) 355-3230 and that is where we recommend you start. Their website also has a detailed listing of contacts and departments.

There is also a well documented process which you can review online to petition for a reduction. Simply complaining about the amount of the bill is not going to get you anywhere. However, if you believe the Total Market Value that has been estimated is excessively high, or if you have an exemption that has not been properly applied, you may be able to seek relief.

There are a variety of contributing factors involved in your final tax bill, especially any changes of ownership and the associated impact to the Save Our Homes Assessment Cap for homesteaded property. Large shifts in taxable value can occur as ownership changes which can be shocking to those who are not familiar with the process. Real estate taxes throughout Palm Beach County have significantly increased as our real estate market continues to produce higher taxable values.

Our appraisers were born and raised in Palm Beach County and are intimately familiar with local tax assessments. The services we can provide include limited consulting, appraisal document development, and direct assistance in the petition process.

Back to All FAQs